Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby
Date: 2009-05-28 15:03:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:

>>> No, because as I said, if archive_command has been returning non-zero
>>> then the archive will be incomplete.
>>>
>> Yes. You think that's wrong? How would you like it to behave, then? I
>> don't think you want the shutdown to wait indefinitely until all files
>> have been archived if there's an error.
>>

> The complaint was that we needed to run a manual step to synchronise the
> pg_xlog directory on the standby. We still need to do that, even after
> the patch has been committed because 2 cases are not covered, so what is
> the point of the recent change? It isn't enough. It *might* be enough,
> most of the time, but you have no way of knowing that is the case and it
> is dangerous not to check.

If archiving has stalled, it's not a clean shutdown anyway and I
wouldn't expect the wal archive to be automatically complete. I'd still
appreciate a warning that while the shutdown appeared regular, wal
wasn't written completely. But the "corner case" of shutting down a
smoothly running server, the wal archive archive should be complete as well.

Regards,
Andreas