Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Denis Lussier <denis(dot)lussier(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)endpoint(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, Koichi Suzuki <koichi(dot)szk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Toru SHIMOGAKI <shimogaki(dot)toru(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Zdenek Kotala <zdenek(dot)kotala(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date: 2009-05-26 14:44:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> [moving this onto -hackers, where I think it belongs]
>
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Huh? The buildfarm will only prove that HEAD of the active branches
>> builds. What the concern was was whether we could correctly extract
>> past states (particularly, but not solely, the tags corresponding to
>> releases) from a converted git repository. The testing I had in mind
>> was to check out various tags and diff that tree against actual release
>> tarballs.
>>

> It appears that our git repo is only picking up the branch tags (e.g.
> REL8_0_STABLE) , not all the release tags (e.g. REL8_0_5) . That needs
> to be fixed (if possible).

Hmm. I looked through the source of the import script. It appears to
mention tags here and there, but doesn't seem to do it. There is a
comment that reads:

# Previous CVS versions just added the tag to the current HEAD
# revision and didn't insert a dead revision on the branch with
# the same date, like it is happening now.
# This means history is unclear as we can't reliably determine
# if the tagging happened at the same time as the addition to
# the branch. For now, just assume it did.
#
# XXX can't reproduce for now, disabling, as it breaks some
# things
#

Basically, it comes down to cvs tags not being actual first class
happening, but just metadata on files.

I'm sure we could script the creation of these tags fairly reliably on
*our* repository since we know which files are always updated when a tag
is added. I'm thinking we could just parse the log for configure.in and
grab the tags from there. Thoughts?

--
Magnus Hagander
Self: http://www.hagander.net/