Re: Tool for modeling

From: Ognjen Blagojevic <ognjen(at)etf(dot)bg(dot)ac(dot)yu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tool for modeling
Date: 2009-05-26 11:25:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Luiz Eduardo Cantanhede Neri wrote on 25.05.2009 12:44:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Which tool do you recommend for modeling pg database? I'm using Aqua
>> Data Studio, and it has a good and friendly UI and its ER it's quite
>> well too, but it's paid and besides of design of it, it still has a
>> lot of things to improve like, specially with E/R Diagram. I also had
>> some problem with views with case it didnt accepted the syntax but
>> when I executed it created the view anyway
>>
> [...]
>>
>> And you guys any tool to suggest? specially Open Source?
>
> Try out Power*Architect.
>
> It is free and quite good although not (yet) complete though.
>
> http://www.sqlpower.ca/page/architect

As a developer who used to work with MySQL, I got used to DBDesigner. I
find it to be very intuitive, easy to use, and free.

However, it has two serious shortcomings:

1. It is not developed anymore. It is replaced with MySQL Workbench,
witch I personally don't like.
2. It works only with MySQL, so my team uses a Java tool which reads
DBDesigner files (old school XML) and generates DDL.

Regards,
Ognjen