Re: Make the planner smarter about idiosyncratic (or broken) ORM behaviour

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, Nic Ferrier <nferrier(at)woome(dot)com>, Edward George <ed(at)woome(dot)com>, Seb Potter <seb(at)woome(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Make the planner smarter about idiosyncratic (or broken) ORM behaviour
Date: 2009-05-22 10:33:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

Frank Joerdens wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Are you sure it wouldn't be easier to hire a Python guru for a couple of
>> days and have him/her hack the ORM to make it less, um, "simplistic"?
>
> Not sure. :) Your arguments make eminent sense to me. I am not exactly
> a fan of ORMs, they make my job much harder ... but there seems to be
> no avoiding them these days.

I either like:
1. Really simple, clean ORM but makes it simple to override with custom
SQL when you need to.
2. Very clever, sophisticated ORM but makes it simple to override with
custom SQL when you need to.

Unfortunately I'm not a Python guy so I can't comment on Django's ORM.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd