Re: Need Oakland/Berkeley location for June SFPUG

From: paul rivers <privers(at)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need Oakland/Berkeley location for June SFPUG
Date: 2009-05-15 14:56:26
Lists: sfpug

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Paul,
>
>> I can look into getting a room in a UCB building. I don't know if I'll
>> get permission or not. However, if parking around the NW part of campus
>> seems workable to people, I will ask.
>
> Please do. I've been told that the EB Rails group meets in Soda Hall.
> We could meet there and try to enlist them.

We have the OK to use a conference room in the data center building at
2195 Hearst ("Earl Warren Hall"). I will find out the capacity of the
room, but I would guess it is 2x larger than the room we used for the Pg
in the cloud meetup.

Pretty much every UCB building is going to have per-floor security. In
this case, the conference room is on the ground floor with ample windows
facing the front of the building right next to the main entrance, so we
should be able to see anyone. Phones work, and the conference room
entrance is literally next to the front door. The logistics of making
sure people get in should be relatively easy.

There is a parking lot nearby at Hearst and Shattuck, which I believe
charges a nominal rate of $.50/hr for parking. I can try and remember
to double-check that. There is also free parking to be found on Oxford
between Hearst and Virginia, among other places.

It's a very easy walk ~6-7 minute walk to/from downtown Berkeley BART.

I haven't checked on Soda Hall, but I can if that is strongly preferred.
If Hearst sounds OK, we can book it now. Let me know what the
preferred date/time would be. We may want to propose a secondary date,
just in the off chance the Hearst conf room is booked. My impression is
it is generally not booked after hours.

So - Hearst is ok? And if so, date(s) and time(s)?

Paul