Re: documentation is now XML

From: Liudmila Mantrova <l(dot)mantrova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: documentation is now XML
Date: 2018-05-03 14:57:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking your time to comment on this long-discussed topic.
I was not around when all the great work was done to implement XSLT
transforms in branch 10 and convert branch 11 to XML, but judging by
this thread
(https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/4ffd72d6-8ab6-37c6-d7d5-dfed8967c0fc%40gmail.com),
much of the testing was automated and could be re-applied to older
branches.

Taking into account that both XSLT transforms and testing scripts can be
reused for the most part, do you think that the benefits of having
consistent source (easy back-porting of doc patches and one-time
translation to all languages) in all the supported branches could
potentially outweigh the inevitable conversion overhead? Are there any
specific features that make branch 10 considerably different from its
predecessors that we are missing?

--
Liudmila Mantrova
Technical writer at Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com