Re: how do you get there from here?

From: "Michael P(dot) Soulier" <michael_soulier(at)mitel(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how do you get there from here?
Date: 2009-04-30 20:15:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
>> Foreign-key constraints:
>> "dashboard_tuginstance_node_id_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (node_id)
>> REFERENCES nodes(id) DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED
>
> This is what's creating the limitation.

So, I'm working around it by creating the new columns with the default
value that I want populated, and then resetting the default. This works,
but it doesn't feel like a best practice.

Can someone recommend a better way to say, consolidate 3 columns down to
2 and conditionally move contents around to the new columns, inside of a
transaction involving ALTER TABLE calls?

I'm just wondering if there is a better solution than what I've done.

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <michael_soulier(at)mitel(dot)com>, 613-592-2122 x2522
direction." --Albert Einstein