Re: how do you get there from here?

From: "Michael P(dot) Soulier" <michael_soulier(at)mitel(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how do you get there from here?
Date: 2009-04-27 19:07:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Nothing. The problem apparently is that you've got deferred AFTER
> triggers on that table, so the UPDATE commands have left unprocessed
> trigger events behind, and the system can't be sure that those events
> would still be sensible to fire after doing further ALTERs on the table.
>
> *Why* you've got such triggers is not apparent from what you've told us.

I've not explicitely created any triggers. The table has constraints,
and if that results in triggers created by the system, then that would
be why. All I know is that it worked in 7.4 without issue.

Here is the table in question, most of the code initially generated by
the Django framework...

tugdb=# \d instances
Table "public.instances"
Column | Type |
Modifier
------------------------------+------------------------+-------------------------------
-------------------------
id | integer | not null
default nextval('inst
ances_id_seq'::regclass)
tugid | character varying(128) | not null
status | integer | not null
lan_ip | inet | not null
wan_ip | inet |
transcoding | boolean | not null
local_streaming | boolean | not null
nlogs2keep | integer | not null
log_verbosity | integer | not null
detailed_jitter_log | boolean | not null
srtp_starting_port | integer | not null
srtp_ending_port | integer | not null
rtp_framesize | character varying(2) | not null
tftp_blocksize | character varying(4) | not null
default_minet_icp | integer |
default_sip_icp | integer |
node_id | integer | not null
daisy_ip | inet |
restrict_minet | boolean | not null
relax_icp_rtp_checks | boolean | not null
udp_icpside_address | inet |
udp_setside_address | inet |
disable_srtp | boolean | not null
default false
udp_icpside_address_override | inet |
udp_setside_address_override | inet |
time_format | integer | not null default 12
setside_codec | character varying(16) | not null
default 'g.729'::char
acter varying
"dashboard_tuginstance_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)
"dashboard_tuginstance_tugid_key" UNIQUE, btree (tugid)
"dashboard_tuginstance_node_id" btree (node_id)
Check constraints:
"dashboard_tuginstance_default_minet_icp_check" CHECK
(default_minet_icp >= 0)
"dashboard_tuginstance_default_sip_icp_check" CHECK (default_sip_icp
>= 0)
"dashboard_tuginstance_nlogs2keep_check" CHECK (nlogs2keep >= 0)
"dashboard_tuginstance_srtp_ending_port_check" CHECK
(srtp_ending_port >= 0)
"dashboard_tuginstance_srtp_starting_port_check" CHECK
(srtp_starting_port >= 0)
"dashboard_tuginstance_status_check" CHECK (status >= 0)
Foreign-key constraints:
"dashboard_tuginstance_node_id_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (node_id)
REFERENCES nodes(id) DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED

Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <michael_soulier(at)mitel(dot)com>, 613-592-2122 x2522
direction." --Albert Einstein