PostgreSQL Object-Oriented Database?

From: "Robert Pepersack" <RPepersack(at)mdinsurance(dot)state(dot)md(dot)us>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Object-Oriented Database?
Date: 2009-04-27 14:00:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a lot of experience with object-oriented programming and relational databases, but I'm new to PostgreSQL.

My agency has a contractor that created a PostgreSQL database that he calls "object-oriented". I noticed that the contractor has more than one value in a column separated by commas. In the relational world, this obviously violates first normal form. When I asked about it, he said that it's because PostgreSQL is an "object-oriented database". I'm very skeptical.

Can someone tell me if this guy is right?

Thanks.