Re: Prepared transactions vs novice DBAs, again

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prepared transactions vs novice DBAs, again
Date: 2009-04-22 18:40:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think we should change the way we test it. Could we simply make
>> max_prepared_transactions = 0 the default, but put
>> "max_prepared_transactions = 5" into the config file in "make check"?
>
> That only works for make check, not make installcheck.

Configuration affects what can be tested in installcheck, that's quite
natural. I would be happy with simply adding an alternative expected
output file for min_prepared_xacts=0 case. Like we've done for xml test
cases, for example, though that's a compile-time option.

Or we could print a notice if you run make installcheck against a server
with max_prepared_transactions=0.

--
Heikki Linnakangas