Re: Oracle to buy Sun

From: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Melanie <melanie(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle to buy Sun
Date: 2009-04-20 14:38:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Scott Mead wrote:

> My guess? Oracle drops a few dollars on innodb, maybe even a few back
> into Mysql, and pushes it to new heights in the open source RDBMS world. I
> see some tough competition for postgres coming up, but hey, competition has
> been known to drive innovation before. I would say competitive times lay
> ahead.

My favorite posts/comments so far today:

http://gigaom.com/2009/04/20/oracle-to-buy-sun-for-74-billion/

"It allows Oracle to become a player in the cloud computing business.
More importantly, the company ends up acquiring MySQL, the upstart
database that has been viewed as Oracle’s achilles heel."

(Acquiring MySQL acquires the chief Drizzle architect and many of the
most active developers)

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2114

"The first, obviously, is for GNU/Linux. It's noteworthy that Oracle
feel compelled to address this directly in the press release:

Oracle is as committed as ever to Linux and other open platforms and
will continue to support and enhance our strong industry partnerships.

And if you believe that, I have a bridge you might like to acquire.
Oracle's Unbreakable Linux product has always been controversial, not
least because people weren't sure whether Oracle really supported it, or
just supported what customers said they wanted. Now that it has a viable
alternative, I'm sure we'll see Unbreakable Linux downplayed as a solution.

And what is sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander: Oracle's
acquisition of Sun means that it will also own MySQL – effectively, the
GNU/Linux of databases. There is no way that Oracle will promote MySQL
heavily; at best it will become the low-end alternative for customers
who moan that the main Oracle database offering is too costly. "

http://twitter.com/mjasay/status/1565505256

"Remember the olden days when sw and hw were sold as integrated systems?
Oracle just took us back to the future w/ the Sun acquisition"

--
http://www.opensourcebridge.org
http://www.chesnok.com/daily