8.0 + JDBC3 Driver

From: "Dave Held" <dave(dot)held(at)arraysg(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 8.0 + JDBC3 Driver
Date: 2005-08-09 22:04:55
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

First, I have an oddity with the 8.0-310.jdbc3 driver. When I
query the db, I have to explicity specify the ResultSet type and
concurrency if I want something other than a FORWARD_ONLY
ResultSet. This was not necessary in 7.4. How do I tell when a
table will return a FORWARD_ONLY ResultSet by default?

Second, I'm having a problem with a query, which I will get to
in a second. However, I notice from the stack trace that calls
are being made into the jdbc2 portion of the driver, even though
I am using the JDBC3 Jar with JDK 1.5. Is this normal, or is there
something wrong?

Third, this is my actual problem:

INSERT INTO my_table
(my_fields, ...)
VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)
;
SELECT currval('my_schema.my_seq')
;

I do a prepareStatement() with the above query, I fill in the params,
and I call executeQuery() hoping to get a ResultSet. However,
instead I get:

PSQLException: No results were returned by the query.

But if I run the query in pgAdmin, it works just fine,
not to mention that this worked perfectly under 7.4,
and works just fine under 8.0 in another app. Any
suggestions welcome.

__
David B. Held
Software Engineer/Array Services Group