Re: Query preparation

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: John Lister <john(dot)lister-ps(at)kickstone(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query preparation
Date: 2009-04-15 13:11:30
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Does anyone see a problem with caching the result set descriptor
> (RowDescription)? AFAICS it should never change after a statement is
> prepared. If not, I'll polish up and submit the patch.

If you tie it to the existing named statement mechanisms I think that
works. We invalidate the named statement anyway if the parameter types
change, and you want to invalidate any cached row description at the
same time. Schema changes could bite you, but I think they bite named
statements in other ways anyway. (Not sure how far the server-side
efforts to do plan invalidation progressed)

-O