Backup only changed databases

From: Benjamin Minshall <minshall(at)intellicon(dot)biz>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Backup only changed databases
Date: 2009-04-14 18:53:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I am curious if there is a way to know which databases have changed (any write transaction) since a given timestamp? I use pg_dump nightly to backup several databases within the cluster, but I would like to only pg_dump those databases which have actually changed during the day. Is there a solution to this? I have to use pg_dump, because I need to be able to selectively restore databases without disrupting the rest of the cluster. I'm running postgreSQL 8.3.7

Thank you.

--
Benjamin Minshall <minshall(at)intellicon(dot)biz>