Re: Audio & Video?

From: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Audio & Video?
Date: 2009-02-12 14:23:01
Lists: pgsql-www

On Feb 12, 2009, at 1:24 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
> wrote:
>
>> could do pub/av section on the ftp server easily enough ... then no
>> one site
>> would be "hit" for the bandwidth ...
>
> What worries me about that is when files start to get much bigger than
> 100MB, or a bunch are added at once (think 2 day conference with a
> dozen or more hour long talks), when they get uploaded to the ftp
> site, within a 24 hour window we'll get around 100 mirrors all trying
> to rsync them at once - probably far more bandwidth than people
> actually viewing the stuff!
>
> We have plenty of spare hardware atm (we have 4 new boxes coming
> online at the moment with very good connectivity) - we can easily
> setup a dedicated server for this, or I kinda like Marc's YouTube
> idea.

+1 for YouTube and other social networking services. There is also a
postgres-backed company that has hosted high quality video for us in
the past. I'll dig up that contact if what you want is long term
storage only.

But if the point is marketing and reaching out beyond out normal
borders, YouTube, flickr, and other socially-oriented services are
going to be the most effective.

-Selena