Re: Link locations for beta?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Link locations for beta?
Date: 2009-04-13 18:42:05
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave,

> Right - which s exactly why I don't want you to publish links directly
> to a small handful of binaries and ignore the fact that the vast
> majority actually come from other places such as the yum repo, the EDB
> download server, ports, apt etc. etc.

Except it's not clear to the user from the page which of those have
betas, and how to get those betas. If we want to not have a full set of
links in the e-mails, then we need to have explicit links & information
on how to get every single beta binary somewhere else, like the
developer/beta page.

In other words: if people have difficulty *finding* the betas, they
won't test them.

> So for the sake of changing 2 characters in each announcement, we have
> to change the filing system to one which requires more and more effort
> for every user to locate the file they want? I don't think that makes
> much sense.

It was more about the web pages than the announcements.

> It's also likely to lead users to 404's more often as the website
> usually updates before all the mirrors do, so having a single page for
> all releases will potentially have invalid links on it for up to 24
> hours, whereas users will be far less likely to find them on an as-yet
> unadvertised page.

Ah, I didn't know about that issue.

--
Josh Berkus