Re: [BUGS] BUG #4027: backslash escaping not disabled inplpgsql

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Jonathan Guthrie" <jguthrie(at)brokersys(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4027: backslash escaping not disabled inplpgsql
Date: 2009-04-09 15:36:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> standard_conforming_strings was added in Postgres 8.1, and
> escape_string_warning was enabled in 8.2.

Other way around -- the warning was available in 8.1; the standard
character string literals were available in 8.2.

> I think the big issue is that having standard_conforming_strings
> affect function behavior introduces the same problems we have had in
> the past of having a GUC affect function behavior.

Can't that be managed with this CREATE FUNCTION option?:

SET configuration_parameter { TO value | = value | FROM CURRENT }

I would like to see standard character string literals at least
available in PL/pgSQL, although I don't personally care whether it is
the default or whether I need to specify it with the above option.
Might it not confuse people to have this GUC behave differently than
others, though?

-Kevin