Re: Closing some 8.4 open items

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Closing some 8.4 open items
Date: 2009-04-08 18:32:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> change cardinality() for multi-dim arrays?
>
> Drop; there's no consensus that this should be changed

Andrew pinged me on this. While there's no consensus that it should be
changed, there's no consensus it shouldn't, either. And once we release
it, we've set the way it operates in cement, so I'd like to get a
consensus one way or the other. I think if we *can't* get a consensus,
it's better to omit the syntax from 8.4 then risk deploying syntax we'll
want to change later.

For my part, I'd like to know what things other than arrays
<collection_expression> in the standard applies to. I think the most
sensible course is to make cardinality(array[]) behave consistently with
cardinality(other_stuff) when we get around to implementing it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.