Re: data loss with pg_standby when doing a controlled failover

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: data loss with pg_standby when doing a controlled failover
Date: 2009-04-06 14:13:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Scott Mead wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Andreas Pflug
> <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de <mailto:pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>> wrote:
>
> Running 8.3.7, I have a warm standby configuration with a
> archive_timeout of 10min.
>
> It's obvious that there's a 10min period where data could be lost
> if the
> master fails and the warm standby server has to take over. What's not
> obvious is that this is true even if the master server is shut down
> regularly, because it will not write out a last log segment to the
> archive. As a consequence, when doing a controlled failover (for
> maintenance purposes or so) all data changed after the last
> archive copy
> will be lost.
> IMHO this should be mentioned in the docs explicitly (I find it quite
> surprising that data can be lost even if the system is shutdown
> correctly), or better when shutting down the postmaster should
> spit all
> log segments containing all changes when archiving is on so the warm
> standby server can catch up.
>

> You make an excellent point. If you're looking for a way to mitigate
> this risk, run:
>
> select pg_switch_xlog() ;
>
> Before shutting down.
Sort of, unless some other user succeeds to commit a transaction after
pg_switch_xlog, and before the database ceases operation.

My "graceful failover" procedure now includes this workaround:
- shutdown server
- restart server with --listen_addresses='' to prevent other users to
connect (there are no local users on the server machine)
- pg_switch_xlog()
- shutdown finally
- let the warm server continue

Regards,