Re: SQL formatting in docs

From: David Niergarth <dn(at)hddesign(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL formatting in docs
Date: 2009-04-05 20:20:24
Lists: pgsql-docs

David Niergarth wrote:
> Hopefully not a naive question... How are all the queries in the
> postgres docs formatted? They're all very consistent and nice pretty
> printed, especially complex queries. How can I do the same?

As an non-trivial example of what I mean, here's a query from Chapter
36: The Rule System. Is there an automated way to format/prettyprint
queries like this?

SELECT shoe_ready.shoename, shoe_ready.sh_avail,
shoe_ready.sl_name, shoe_ready.sl_avail,
shoe_ready.total_avail
FROM (SELECT rsh.shoename,
rsh.sh_avail,
rsl.sl_name,
rsl.sl_avail,
min(rsh.sh_avail, rsl.sl_avail) AS total_avail
FROM (SELECT sh.shoename,
sh.sh_avail,
sh.slcolor,
sh.slminlen,
sh.slminlen * un.un_fact AS slminlen_cm,
sh.slmaxlen,
sh.slmaxlen * un.un_fact AS slmaxlen_cm,
sh.slunit
FROM shoe_data sh, unit un
WHERE sh.slunit = un.un_name) rsh,
(SELECT s.sl_name,
s.sl_avail,
s.sl_color,
s.sl_len,
s.sl_unit,
s.sl_len * u.un_fact AS sl_len_cm
FROM shoelace_data s, unit u
WHERE s.sl_unit = u.un_name) rsl
WHERE rsl.sl_color = rsh.slcolor
AND rsl.sl_len_cm >= rsh.slminlen_cm
AND rsl.sl_len_cm <= rsh.slmaxlen_cm) shoe_ready
WHERE shoe_ready.total_avail > 2;

Thanks,

--David