Re: [HACKERS] Mentors needed urgently for SoC & PostgreSQL Student Internships

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, lembark(at)wrkhors(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Mentors needed urgently for SoC & PostgreSQL Student Internships
Date: 2009-04-02 18:19:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> Would introducing a Duration (i.e., time-series
>>> a'la Date, et al)) data type be considered useful?
>
> Jeff Davis has already done a lot of this work; it's on pgFOundry
> somewhere.

The data type itself is quite trivial. It's all the operators that are
more difficult to implement, and also immensely useful. That part is
still incomplete. I'd recommend a book called Temporal Data and the
Relational Model by C.J. Date, Hugh Darwen and Nikos Lorentzos for
anyone interested in this topic. That book gives a guideline on how the
data type and operators should behave.

I'd love to see that implemented. I volunteer to mentor if someone wants
to tackle it.

--
Heikki Linnakangas