Re: How to find the query completeion time?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: SHARMILA JOTHIRAJAH <sharmi_jo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to find the query completeion time?
Date: 2009-04-02 16:46:54
Lists: pgsql-general

> In ORACLE I can get that information from V$SESSION_LONGOPS view which will give the approx TIME_REMAINING to complete running queries. Is there a similar way in postgres?

As far as I know, PostgreSQL has no such facility, and the database
server has no idea how long a given query will take to run.

I'm not really sure how Oracle does that, given that the performance of
a long-running query will vary during its execution. Other queries will
begin and end, altering resource availability. Also, if your query runs
in several large parts, it can be hard to estimate how quickly parts you
haven't started executing yet will run.

--
Craig Ringer