Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to start drafting the 8.4 release
Date: 2009-04-01 00:20:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Actually, we have four basic theme ideas:

1) Smarter PG: more ability to develop "smart" applications on PG (David)
Pro: It's what we do as a project
Con: very similar to our theme last year

2) Fastest Developing Database: putting out a release *every* year, no
matter what (Josh)
Pro: timely, given issues with other DBMSes
Con: very similar to our theme last year

3) Maturity: After many years of development, PG has become
feature-complete in many areas. (Bruce)
Pro: accurate
Con: "maturity" ~ "stagnation"

4) BI/OLAP: focus on Windowing/Recursive.
Pro: industry buzzword-compliant
Con: don't have rest of toolset (Cube,etc.), ignores several major
features.

Given these, I'd think that combining (1) and (2) would probably be our
best route. Thoughts?

--Josh