weird problem with PG 8.1

From: Marcin Krol <mrkafk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: weird problem with PG 8.1
Date: 2009-03-31 15:35:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello everyone,

I'm having this completely weird problem that ORDER BY doesn't seem to
work correctly in PG 8.1 as bundled in RedHat 5.

When I issue:

SELECT * FROM virtualization;

I get all the fields:

reservations=# SELECT * FROM virtualization;
id | Virtualization | color
----+-----------------+---------
1 | BOX | #FAFAFA
2 | LPAR | #999999
3 | BOX ZONE HOST | #FAFAFA
4 | NPAR | #9966CC
5 | VPAR | #9966CC

But when I try to order by column Virtualization:

reservations=# SELECT * FROM virtualization ORDER BY Virtualization;

ERROR: could not identify an ordering operator for type virtualization
HINT: Use an explicit ordering operator or modify the query.

The 'virtualization' table is just a normal table with VARCHAR column of
Virtualization:

reservations=# \d virtualization
Table "public.virtualization"
Column | Type | Modifiers
----------------+-------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------
id | integer | not null default
nextval('virtualization_id_seq'::regclass)
Virtualization | character varying |
color | character varying |
"virtualization_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)

When I try to specify table.column I get this:

reservations=# SELECT * FROM virtualization ORDER BY
virtualization.Virtualization;
ERROR: column virtualization.virtualization does not exist

What's going on?

Regards,
mk