Re: List Message Footer

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: List Message Footer
Date: 2009-03-17 18:23:07
Lists: pgsql-www

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> David Blewett wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>>> The Message-Id is already in the headers of the message ... you just
>>> have to expand them, because normally it's not displayed by your email
>>> program.
>> I know I'll get a groan for this, but GMail doesn't actually display
>> them in the web interface. Even if you click Show Details, it only has
>> From, To, CC, Date and Subject. I see you recently added the ability
>> to paste that ID into the search box to pull up specific messages, but
>> wouldn't be easier to have the direct link to share in IRC/IM
>> whatever?
>
> Well, there are several problems with this, one of which is that it
> won't work except for email delivered by majordomo. So if you're on CC
> for an email, it won't have the footer.
>
> The second problem is that I don't think we can tweak Majordomo easily
> to include it :-) Besides, it falls on Marc Fournier's court and I
> don't have access to that. Good luck convincing Marc to do this.
>
> As for Gmail, it is very inconvenient but it is there -- you need to
> click on "show original".
>
> Maybe if enough people asked Google to implement display of Message-Id ...

I'm sure someone who speaks the language could whack up something in
greasemonkey for example to make it more readily available. It was
pretty simple to do it as an addon to thunderbird
(http://blog.hagander.net/archives/130-A-Thunderbird-extension-for-the-archives.html)

That would work regardless of if you get the mail from majordomo or as a
direct CC.

Putting it in the footer will also leave us with mails with a lot of
different links in them in the end, from people who respond without
cutting (with a mua that doesn't recognize the signature) the end of the
mail.

//Magnus