Re: Uploading data to postgresql database

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Subha Ramakrishnan <subha(at)gslab(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Uploading data to postgresql database
Date: 2009-03-17 13:26:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Subha Ramakrishnan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to know if there is a way to upload kml/gpx data directly to
> the DB.

By upload you mean...? You can always just insert the date opaque as
raw field or text or use large object (lo).

> So far, I have been using shp2pgsql to upload data from shape files.
> I don't want to convert it to shape and then upload it.
>
> If someone knows of a way to upload without converting to shape file,
> please let me know.

If you plan to do anything with the data inside the database
(and your reference to PostGIS indicates that) you need to insert
it in a structured way as opposed to just "upload the data".

What is wrong with the conversion step you mention?

Regards
Tino