Re: alter multiple tables

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Kodok Marton <marton(at)mybusinessanywhere(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alter multiple tables
Date: 2009-03-16 16:08:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Kodok Marton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have in every table columns like:
> username character varying(20) NOT NULL
>
> I want to extend the length of varchar in all tables.

next time you should probably consider using a domain type
(or stick to text)

> Since I have a lot of tables and mirrored backups, I am wondering if
> there is a way to alter automatically all tables where colname matches
> 'username'
>
> Is there a way to do this?

It should be possible to generate a list of tables either via
query or using pg_dump -L with grep and create SQL based on this
(with a script, unix shell) and execute it against the database.

(Test this of course)

HTH
Tino