Re: User table porting

From: Jan-Peter Seifert <Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Kevin Kempter <kevink(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User table porting
Date: 2009-03-10 18:29:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

Kevin Kempter wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 March 2009 11:13:54 Carol Walter wrote:
>> I want to recreate users with their passwords from one database
>> cluster on another database cluster. What would be the best way for
>> me to do this?

> from the "old" server run this (where <new_db_cluster> is the new server):

> pg_dumpall -g | psql -h <new_db_cluster>

Isn't it generally better to use the newer binaries from the target
server especially with psql?
I remember getting quite a few errors when restoring a pg_dumpall from
an 8.1 server, because the create user syntax in the dump file was obsolete.
You might need some more options for piping (-U etc.):

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/app-pg-dumpall.html

Peter