Re: the sad state of our FAQs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the sad state of our FAQs
Date: 2009-03-10 08:04:53
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 16:53 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> I proposed this previously but got no support from Bruce who is supposed
>> to be the FAQ maintainer, and thus I ended up doing nothing. Therefore
>> I now offer to do the job required to move them to XML Docbook and allow
>> translatability using xml2po or something similar.
>
> I would like to see us have a single documentation standard though. Our
> core docs are still Docbook SGML which is a bit different :( Other than
> that, I am all for it.

I think, although others might disagree, that the FAQ is by its nature
more of a web resource than a software documentation resource. So it
ought to be managed by the standards of the web site, e.g., rapid
releases, version independent, whatever translation system the web site
uses. (I consider the wiki to be an extension of the web site, for this
argument.)