Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1704)

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1704)
Date: 2009-03-10 05:02:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Despite all that arm-waving, no one besides KaiGai-san has really
> stepped up to work on it. That leaves me not only with worries about
> the patch itself, but with an extremely low estimate of the community's
> interest in it. And it is too big, complicated, and risky to go in
> if there's not strong community support for it.

The only reason why I separated a few major facilities (writable system
columns, row-level controls, largeobject permission and so on) and
reduces the scale of patches as someone required is to help SE-PostgreSQL
getting merged into the v8.4.

In addition, as I said before, I can provide my efforts to maintenance
SE-PostgreSQL feature to the future version, once it getting merged,
no need to say.

Thanks,
--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC