Re: One less footgun: deprecating pg_dump -d

From: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)endpoint(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)endpoint(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: One less footgun: deprecating pg_dump -d
Date: 2009-03-09 18:31:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane<greg(at)endpoint(dot)com> writes:
>> The solution I came up with is to use a new letter, -I, and to deprecate -d by
>> having it throw an exception when used.
>
> "Deprecate" does not mean "break".

This '-d' thing is more than just a matter of reading the documentation.
Our other command line utilities lead a person to assume (logically)
that '-d' means something completely apart from what it actually does.

I've made this mistake, so have most other sysadmins I know.

While this change may break existing scripts, the result is that future
users of Postgres will have a much less painful experience if they
accidentally try to use that option.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann