Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum

From: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum
Date: 2022-03-22 07:27:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> BTW have we discussed another idea I mentioned before that we have the
> leader process periodically check the number of completed indexes and
> advertise it in its progress information? I'm not sure which one is
> better but this idea would require only changes of vacuum code and
> probably simpler than the current idea.

> Regards,

If I understand correctly, to accomplish this we will need to have the leader
check the number of indexes completed In the ambukdelete or amvacuumcleanup
callbacks. These routines do not know about PVIndStats, and they are called
by both parallel and non-parallel vacuums.

From what I can see, PVIndstats will need to be passed down to these routines
or pass a NULL for non-parallel vacuums.

Sami