Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1608)

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1608)
Date: 2009-02-27 01:02:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> KaiGai Kohei wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> I did an analysis of the "core" file:
>>>
>>> http://sepgsql.googlecode.com/files/sepgsql-core-8.4devel-r1608.patch
>>>
>>> changed lines 3226
>>> new files 4075
>>> syscatalog 9977
>>> ----
>>> total 17278
>>>
>>> The good news is that 3226 is the affect on the non-system-catalog main
>>> core code, and is a context diff size, not total changed lines.
>> Hum...? What utility did you use to compute the lines?
>> It seems to me the changed lines except for system catalogs are larger than
>> actual one.
>>
>> The diffstat says:
>> 65 files changed, 4769 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-), 4945 modifications(!)
>>
>> The (4244 + 500) of 4945 modifications come from pg_proc.h and pg_attribute.h
>> due to a new field to store security label of procedures and columns.
>>
>> The new files adds 4014 in total, so rest of (755 + 11 + 201 = 967) lines are
>> estimated changes in the main core code.
>>
>> Anyway, I believe the burden of reviewer became smaller than the prior
>> full-set version.
>
> I manually created the three files and then got totals; I have attached
> the files.

OK, I can understand.
It also counts unchanged lines, like:

| *** base/src/backend/Makefile Sat Jan 3 13:01:35 2009
| --- sepgsql/src/backend/Makefile Fri Feb 6 13:13:08 2009
| *************** include $(top_builddir)/src/Makefile.glo
| *** 16,22 ****
|
| SUBDIRS = access bootstrap catalog parser commands executor foreign lib libpq \
| main nodes optimizer port postmaster regex rewrite \
| ! storage tcop tsearch utils $(top_builddir)/src/timezone
|
| include $(srcdir)/common.mk
|
| --- 16,22 ----
|
| SUBDIRS = access bootstrap catalog parser commands executor foreign lib libpq \
| main nodes optimizer port postmaster regex rewrite \
| ! security storage tcop tsearch utils $(top_builddir)/src/timezone
|
| include $(srcdir)/common.mk

But it is not a point to be discussed here.

The significant point is the scale of patches are indeed reduced
as I promised before, by separating a few facilities. :)

I've waited for reviewer's comment.

Thanks,
--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC