Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Date: 2009-02-26 05:55:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> As for when it *will* be committable --- Heikki is saying two weeks
>> if no new problems crop up, but given the rate at which new problems
>> have been found so far, what are the odds of that? We've seen this
>> movie before.
>>
>> Since it's going to take us two weeks to clean up the other loose ends
>> anyway, there's no harm in letting Simon and Heikki try to complete the
>> patch by then. But I'll happily lay a side bet with you about what the
>> situation will be two weeks from now.
>
> I think Tom wins this bet, since it's now been four weeks. In fact,
> he was being optimistic: the loose ends aren't cleaned up either
> (based on a review of the wiki, we're about half way there: six
> patches have been committed in the intervening time and seven remain
> in the queue).

Agreed. Simon has finished the pending items he had four weeks ago, but
the code clearly isn't ready for commit yet as new issues are cropping
up. And I think the way subtransactions are handled, which has been a
difficult part of the patch all along, still needs more thinking.

--
Heikki Linnakangas