Re: pl/php for windows

From: Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com>
To: roche magsayo <rtmsoft(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/php for windows
Date: 2009-02-19 00:38:59
Lists: pgsql-php

roche magsayo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible that we can install pl/php on windows? where can i get
> the installer of it? thanks a lot.

Which do you want, Perl or PHP?

Active State <http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/> has a free Perl
package that has been the reference for Perl on Windows. I had been
using that for several years. But Google's Summer of Code produced the
Camelbox <http://code.google.com/p/camelbox/> last year, which also is
quite good. I now use the latter at work, and the best feature is that
it uses the core CPAN server and mirrors instead of Active State's less
than complete mirror.

An alternate method is to install Cygwin <http://www.cygwin.com/> from
Red Hat. That not only gives you Perl, but a complete POSIX style
workspace, including the Bourne Again Shell (BASH), GCC and the full
Unix style utility kit. But if you do go with this, heed their warning
about not sending email to the developers. Some of those folks have very
sensitive egos and will react violently to the most trivial comments.

I have heard that there are command line interpreters for PHP available,
but have never used one. The normal way to get it is install an Apache
server with the PHP module. You may have to recompile PHP if the default
options aren't correct for you. I always have to do that on Linux
because a few years ago we discovered Postgres is much better than the
MySQL for serious commercial use.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP