Re: Server Status window work

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Status window work
Date: 2009-02-12 16:26:40
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page a écrit :
> Sorry - things got hectic again.

Yeah, don't worry about this. I sent this mail because of the small
delay we still have.

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> I understand, and I agree with you. The application can split a
>> wxAuiNotebook (with the Split() method). Unfortunately, we can't change
>> its size, position, and contents. I'm afraid this widget won't allow us
>> to do what we want.
>>
>> The only way left is to use multiple panes with one wxAuiNoteBook on
>> each pane... and disallow the split stuff.
>
> So essentially what we're saying is that we either cannot save the
> layout, or we have to disable the only feature that makes it
> worthwhile using wxAuiNotebook instead of wxNotebook? Bummer.
>
> What about not using a notebook at all and just using 4 panels, like
> we do on other forms? We can have toggle button on a button bar as
> well as menu options to turn each pane on and off. that will allow
> flexible layout within the form, or for sections to be un-docked into
> their own Windows.

So, we keep the wxAuiManager and add panes. I'm not sure if the result
will be really interesting. But I don't think it is much work to do.
I'll work on it right now.

>> They're already wrapped in a wxFlexGridSizer. I don't think we can do
>> much with since. Perhaps a toolbar for each tab? but I don't really like
>> this idea.
>
> What about replacing the slider and text control with a combo box that
> offers Don't refresh, ! second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1
> minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour. That will be a
> fixed size (and much smaller than the slider), and should be small
> enough to fit a decent four-pane layout on an 800x600 window.

OK. If people wants more delay options, we can let the user customize
this with options in the options dialog.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org