Re: Key Vs Index

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Abdul Rahman <abr_ora(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Key Vs Index
Date: 2009-02-11 07:31:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Abdul Rahman wrote:

> In Oracle, the index is automatically created during the creation of
> Primary Key.

The same is true in PostgreSQL. For example, here's a message from a
recent job I ran that created a temp table with SELECT ... INTO and
added a primary key to it:

psql:import_checks.sql:79: NOTICE: ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will
create implicit index "check_weeks_pkey" for table "check_weeks"

Can you give an example of what you are talking about?

> But in PostgreSQL either index is implicitly created

Is "implicitly" in some way intended to mean something distinct to
"automatically"?

> I don't find any index against Primary
> Key and have to create index on this key.

AFAIK you CAN NOT have a PRIMARY KEY in PostgreSQL without an associated
unique index.

--
Craig Ringer