Re: add_path optimization

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add_path optimization
Date: 2009-02-09 16:40:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Where are we on this: the original patch, and Kevin's slow queries?

Robert's patch is not the cause of the 8.4 problems with my queries,
and (as Robert pointed out) a separate thread has been started to
discuss those issues.

>From my perspective, Robert's patch has improved plan time in every
test of a complex query that I've run. I have compared plans for some
queries with and without the patch, and in when I have done so the
EXPLAIN output has been byte-for-byte identical, it just got to that
plan faster.

In this post:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-02/msg00118.php

Tom points out that the additional optimizations included in 8.4 can
increase plan time a bit, "So there might be an argument for
installing Robert's optimization or something like it in 8.4 to buy
some of that back, rather than waiting for 8.5."

-Kevin