Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>, Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, Stanislav Lacko <lacko(at)spacesystems(dot)sk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump
Date: 2009-02-08 22:10:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

daveg wrote:
> I think the context here is for pg_dump only and in that context a faster
> compression library makes a lot of sense. I'd be happy to prepare a patch
> if the license issue can be accomodated.

Some kind of performance data (space and time) would be required to
support any change in this area.

Notice that the thread originally called for lzma support, which is
completely at the opposite end of the spectrum of compression algorithms
in terms of space and time, compared to lzo. So it's not really clear
what the requirements are in the first place.