Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Stanislav Lacko <lacko(at)spacesystems(dot)sk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is a plan for lmza commpression in pg_dump
Date: 2009-02-05 03:23:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dann Corbit wrote:

> The LZMA SDK is granted to the public domain:
> http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html

I played with this but found the SDK extremely confusing and flat out horrible.
One personal dislike was the unnecessary use of C++; although it was the
horrible API that turned me off. I'm not even sure if I ever got a test program
working.

LZO (http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/) is a great algorithm, easy API
with many variants; my fav is LZO1X-1(15). Its known for its compresison and
decompresison speeds ... its blazing fast. zlib typically gets 5-8% more
compression.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC