Re: field with Password

From: "Raymond C(dot) Rodgers" <sinful622(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Iñigo Barandiaran <ibarandiaran(at)vicomtech(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: field with Password
Date: 2009-02-04 14:34:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Iñigo Barandiaran wrote:
> Thanks!
>

> Ok. I've found http://256.com/sources/md5/ library. So the idea is to
> define in the dataBase a Field of PlainText type. When I want to
> insert a new user, I define a password, convert to MD5 hash with the
> library and store it in the DataBase. Afterwards, any user check
> should get the content of the DataBase of do the inverse process with
> the library. Is it correct?
>
> Thanks so much!!!!!!
>
> Best,

Well, you can use the built-in md5 function for this purpose. For
instance, you could insert a password into the table with a statement like:

insert into auth_data (user_id, password) values (1, md5('test'));

And compare the supplied password with something like:

select true from auth_data where user_id = 1 and password = md5('test');

You don't need to depend on an external library for this functionality;
it's built right into Postgres. Personally, in my own apps I write in
PHP, I use a combination of sha1 and md5 to hash user passwords,
without depending on Postgres to do the hashing, but the effect is
basically the same.

Raymond