Re: Crash of Postgresql on Windows

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Emilie Laffray <emilie(dot)laffray(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Crash of Postgresql on Windows
Date: 2009-02-04 14:08:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Emilie Laffray wrote:
> 3) I have an antivirus running, but again this antivirus has been
> running for months and I have worked on postgresql also for months.
> There has been an update yesterday to that antivirus, but I don't think
> it had an impact.

> I tried also in the meantime to run a vacuum, and I got some messages
> that the indexes had a problem and it was working to fix it. It crashed.
> I restarted my pc and could perform the vacuum just fine afterwards.

I don't run PG on Windows other than to test, but this definitely sounds
like antivirus problems to me. They're quite sophisticated nowadays and
it might be that it takes a certain pattern of activity to trigger it.

Try (1) turning your antivirus off and running the update and if that
works, (2) excluding all the data directories and PostgreSQL from it's
checking.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd