Re: LIMIT NULL

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Svenne Krap <svenne(at)krap(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LIMIT NULL
Date: 2009-02-04 13:25:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Svenne Krap wrote:
> Rick Vernam wrote:
>
>>> The reference documentation is *always* intended to be more complete and
>>> more authoritative than the narrative description. If you don't think
>>> so then you need to readjust your expectations.
>>>
>> very well, I did not know that.
>> expectations readjusted. thanks.
>>

> Me neither. I wonder how many other long term users (I have used pgsql
> for more than a decade - 6.2 was my first version if memory serves)
> and have never caught that nuance either.
>
> Maybe that should be printed as a note on the "narrative description
> pages".. something like: "Note this is a simplified introduction to
> the subject. For authorative description please see topic x in section
> y (and link to it of course ;))

In effect it does say that - perhaps not quite as explicitly as you
might have wanted. It says: "The information in this part is presented
in a narrative fashion in topical units. Readers looking for a complete
description of a particular command should look into Part VI. " (the
"PART VI" is a link).

cheers

andrew