Re: Server Status window work

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Status window work
Date: 2009-02-03 17:07:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

Dave Page a écrit :
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>
>> So here is the next one. I fixed a few issues, added some more comments,
>> moved some code to get something easy to read, and used the four timers.
>> It seems to be working right on my laptop. I did a quick check on
>> Windows and it was working all right too.
>
> Hi,
>
> There are a few issues immediately apparent:
>
> - There's debug code in checkConnection

Oops, sorry about this. Fixed.

> - MNU_REFRESH/OnRefresh() seem redundant now.

I removed the MNU_REFRESH but kept OnRefresh(). frmStatus still uses it
(and a lot).

> - The default size of the dialog is tall and thin - if I so much as
> touch the resize corner it doubles in width to a more sensible size.
> Observed on Windows.

Strange behavior. It didn't occur on GTK. Anyways, fixed.

> - You need a lock to prevent the four refresh functions running
> simultaneously and doing nasty things to the connection. You should
> probably use a wxCriticalSectionLocker.

wxCriticalSectionLocker added.

> - It looks like we still refresh each tab even if it's not visible (or
> even closed). We should check that to minimise the database traffic.

Fixed.

> - If a tab is closed and re-opened (from the View menu), it returns to
> it's default position on the tabset, not to whereever it previously
> was.
>
> - The tab layout is not remembered if the window is closed and reopened.

The last two ones aren't done on purpose.

On the first one, it doesn't return on its default position but on the
last position. I don't think it's really interesting and it will be
difficult to do. For example, how do we handle the case when we have
multiple notebooks?

On the second one, if we try to remember the tab layout (not difficult),
do we also need to remember the pane layout? much more difficult.

I would prefer to spend the rest of the time left with the other todo items.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
serverstatus_p1_v9.patch.bz2 application/x-bzip 11.0 KB