Re: Hot Standby (v9d)

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Standby (v9d)
Date: 2009-02-03 14:55:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 02/03/2009 02:26 PM, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>> I don't see any way around the fact that when a tuple is removed, it's
>> gone and can't be accessed by queries. Either you don't remove it, or
>> you kill the query.
> Actually we came up with a solution to this - use filesystem level
> snapshots (like LVM2+XFS or ZFS), and redirect backends with
> long-running queries to use fs snapshot mounted to a different
> mountpoint.
Isn't that really, really expensive?

A single write on the master logical volume yields writes of PE size
for _every_ single snapshot (the first time the block is touched) -
considering that there could quite many such snapshots I don't think
that this is really feasible - io quite possible might be saturated.

The default PE size is 4MB - but on most bigger systems it is set to a
bigger size, so its just getting worse for bigger systems.

Sure, one might say, that this is an LVM deficiency - but I do knot know
of any snapshot-able block layer doing it that way.

Andres