Re: add_path optimization

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kgrittn(dot)CCAP(dot)Courts(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add_path optimization
Date: 2009-02-03 17:34:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> I wrote:
> I tried the same run on 8.4devel and it is still running after
> 20 minutes. I will let it cook for a while.

It's now been an hour and 30 minutes; so, while 8.4 does a much better
job of estimating how many rows will be returned, the plan it
generates is much slower for this query.

FWIW I'll attach the results of vmstat 1 below. The machine a
replication target and is receiving a little over 100 database
transactions per second, but is otherwise fairly idle, except for this
long-running query.

-Kevin

Attachment Content-Type Size
vmstat1.txt text/plain 3.5 KB