Re: Cleaning up large objects

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ole Streicher" <ole-usenet-spam(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cleaning up large objects
Date: 2004-08-11 14:18:51
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

"Ole Streicher" <ole-usenet-spam(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
> What is a reasonable value for these settings in my case?

I'd try bumping up max_fsm_pages to a million or so. That would
definitely be enough for a 10Gb database. You could probably get
away with less but I'm not sure it's worth worrying about.

If you are running 7.4 then a "vacuum verbose" will give you some
data (at the very end of its lengthy printout) about FSM consumption,
which you could use if you want to size more carefully.

> Is it possible to run the vacuum with a lower priority (while all other
> postgres queries keeping the normal priority)?

No. In 8.0 there will be some tuning parameters that will help with
that, but not in current releases...