Re: [pgsql-www] where can I get the new logo in bigger size?

From: "damien(at)dalibo(dot)info" <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] where can I get the new logo in bigger size?
Date: 2009-02-01 17:27:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Damien,
>
>> Well in that case i can't help but notice that the official logo is
>> nowhere to be found on the official website :-)
>
> Huh?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/community/propaganda

Yes. My point was just to say that what Gavin described as the official
logo ( i.e. the blue/white/black elephant head ) is not displayed on the
propaganda page.

As this logo is not available on the www.postgresql.org website, i came
to the conclusion that it was an "old version" and the "new version" was
the one that was displayed in the banner on each page of
www.postgresql.org ( i.e. the white-only elephant head )

Apparently i'm not the only one who made this mistake.

> which has some images, plus a link to:
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/graphics/
>
> In what way is this not "official"? How is a wiki more "official", or a
> better place for logos, than pgFoundry?

The wiki is not more official than pgFoundry :-)

All i'm saying is that pgFoundry may not be the better place to display
graphics. I'm sure it's useful for coders and project managers. But for
visual artwork, it's almost depressing...
For instance, looking for a specific item takes a very long time. If the
files were in a gallery, pgfoundry would be far more intuitive and easy
to use. I might be wrong but my guess is that pgfoundry can't display
simultaneously those images. Instead we have just a list of links and
you have to click on each link and then unzip the files to find what you
want.

So i just proposed to do a kind of gallery on the wiki, because i know
mediawiki can do such things...

Let's just have a look at what other projects do :

http://marketing.openoffice.org/art/galleries/marketing/logos/
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates/homepage
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Proposed/AllImages

I'm not saying we should follow these examples blindly, but maybe we
could discuss what can be done to help people who want to create
marketing material for PostgreSQL.

Here's some ideas that could make things easier :

1- As i said, putting the logos in a gallery would be useful.

2- Avoid proprietary formats. Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop are nice
but Inskape and The Gimp both rock. PSD files could be replaced by XCF,
and AI files could be replaced by SVG.

3- Don't ZIP artwork files.

4- Describe something like "identity guidelines". For example :
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Branding

5- Define a color palette would be cool. For example :
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Colors

6- Sharing Scribus templates would be nice too.

--
damien clochard
http://dalibo.org | http://dalibo.com