Re: Pet Peeves?

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jason Long <mailing(dot)list(at)supernovasoftware(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-01-29 17:40:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Gregory Stark wrote:
> Jason Long <mailing(dot)list(at)supernovasoftware(dot)com> writes:
>
>> Richard Huxton wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Case-folding on column-names.
>>> Quoting is a PITA sometimes when you're transferring from a different
>>> DBMS. Be nice to have a "true_case_insensitive=on" flag.
>>>
>> I was just wishing for this the other day.
>
> I'm kind of wondering what behaviour you two are looking for and what
> "different DBMS" you're referring to.
>
> I'm assuming it's not the ANSI fold-to-uppercase behaviour you're looking for.

It's anywhere you can get tables created quoted/unquoted and not that in
the app. Or even on the command-line. It's a PITA to go round
remembering to "quote" "every" column" because the table was created
preserving case.

Not the end of the world, but you did ask for "peeves".

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd