Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-25 14:18:25
Lists: pgsql-www

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?C=E9dric_Villemain?= <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> 2011/5/25 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
>> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> wrote:
>>> The proposal was to put up a static copy. That hardly has any security
>>> issues, I think.

>> Actually generating a static copy may be a non-trivial amount of work
>> though. It's easy enough to spider the site and store it as a static
>> HTML, but we'd also need to ensure we remove any links or forms to
>> non-static features of course.

> I believe we don't care :)
> We can just add a disclaimer at top of each page : "this site is only
> for archive, do not expect each link to work. Thank you."

Or, just replace the server with something that serves out the same
static page for any pgfoundry URL: "pgfoundry has been retired. Please
see <list of useful resources> to search for the new location of the
project you are looking for."

The main point in my mind is that we'll never get rid of all the
references to pgfoundry. Having those URLs go 404 will not look good
nor be helpful to visitors.